Monday, September 19, 2011

The Spirit and The Flesh.

It has recently come to my attention that the things that our flesh rebels against are most often times the things most worth doing. Example. At times. The occasion arises in which one of the houses does not have mom. On these occasions usually one of the young lovely single long-short term volunteers are asked to stay at said house. Now of course the answer is always. Yes. After all. It is why the young lovely single long-short term volunteers have come. To serve. So we go. However, I am sad to say that most often on these occasions we do not go with joy. But with a grumble and a grunt. 
Now really I should not be saying we. But me. I. Yes. It is true. I am the young lovely single long-short term volunteer that more often times than not….actually every time…. goes out to be a mom for the night not with joy. But with a grumble and a grunt. If one could jump inside my mind to hear the conversation that goes on during these occasions it really would be a sad thing to hear. "Not again. Ugh…" Says the flesh. "Now flesh you know that it is a good thing." Replies the Spirit. "These kids need love. And you show that by giving up your time." "Love shmove. I don't want to go. I had plans you know. I wanted to sleep in my bed." I. I. I. Me. Me. Me. Self. Self. Self. Blah. Blah. Blah. On. And. On goes flesh. All the way to the house. Grumble. Grumble. Grunt. Grunt. Grunt. Grumble. 
Then. Suddenly. A laugh is heard. A smile seen. The closer to the house the quieter flesh seems to become. Grum…Grum…Grun….until no more complaints can be heard.  And all that can be seen are precious faces. Excited their auntie has come. Probably hoping that inside her big blue bag are sweets and a film to watch before bed. Their hopes will be satisfied. Just in case the reader was wondering. 
"Oh." Says the young lovely single long-short term volunteer. "You see." Says the Spirit "Not so bad is it. To love well means self-sacrifice is needed. And self-sacrifice always means the sweetest rewards." As the night goes on the young lovely single long-short term volunteer realizes just how right the Spirit is. She sees the sweet reward in hearing the kids laugh at donkey's antics in Shrek. In their sweet prayers before bed. And most of all in the sweet little one that has fallen asleep in her arms. 

Yes. The Spirit is most definitely right. And the flesh most definitely wrong. And perhaps also a little bit stupid. And very much annoying. But now. At least. The young lovely single long-short term volunteer knows that things in which the flesh rebels are most often times the things most definitely worth doing.  

4 comments:

  1. Ash this is awesome. I know the EXACT feeling. I love you and I'm so proud of you. You are shining bright light into the kingdom of darkness...you are giving and pouring a love that is so needed in that particular place. I'm so blessed by this post!! Miss you. Am praying for you today that you will know his satisfying love very deep and that that will be what drives you to love the lovable and not so lovable. Because he longs for both...deeply. And he longs for you, Ashley Perkins. Love you. -Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW. I don't think that anyone could have put it more perfectly!!! That is exactly what happens hahaha.... I love you Ash. I am so proud of your sacrifice and the woman you are. You are going to be one rich woman in heaven because the treasures you are storing up here on earth are countless... Love you girl!!!

    -Macy

    ReplyDelete